An Overview of Lemon Cucumber
In size and colour, lemon cucumbers (Cucumis sativus 'Lemon') resemble lemons. Although they are called citrus cucumbers, the cucumbers do not have a citrus flavour and taste like the more common, green oblong varieties. As opposed to the traditional green, oblong varieties, they are round and turn yellow like lemons when ripe.
More to love in Lemon Cucumber:
- Despite being less bitter than regular cucumbers, lemon cucumbers taste like regular cucumbers
- Lemon cucumbers are most often used raw, although they can also be pickled
- Can be sliced in fresh green salads, tofu salads, zucchini salads, and pea salads
- Eat sliced and served with basil pesto for a unique taste
Benefits of Lemon Cucumber
Lemon cucumbers can be juiced and added to cocktails, freshwater, and smoothies. The cucumber has a mild flavour and a thin, tender skin, but no citrus taste. It is yellow in colour and has thin, tender skin. The advantage of this is that you can eat it all at once without having to store half of it in the fridge.
How to sow and care for Lemon Cucumber Seeds
Growing lemon cucumber starts with seeds. Between April and May, seeds should be sown in individual 9cm pots under glass at a constant temperature of 21°C. It is advisable to sow the seed around the edges to prevent it from rotting. Immediately after the seedlings have developed three true leaves, plant them into 15cm pots. When the plants are about 10cm tall, transplant them outdoors once they have been hardened off and the risk of frost has passed. Allow them to grow up against nets or trail along the ground. You can also plant them under glass, in large pots, or in grow bags. Be sure to tie the stems together and provide some form of support.
To achieve the best results, water your plants regularly. To keep the soil cool, apply a thin layer of mulch to lemon cucumber plants, but don't mulch before the soil has warmed up. When it comes to mulch, limit it to three inches, especially if you have slug issues. The most common pests to watch out for are aphids and spider mites, which can be easily controlled with an insecticidal soap spray. If squash beetles appear, pick them up by hand. Don't use pesticides, which kill beneficial insects that keep pests away.
Note: This Overview is intended as a guide only since cultural practices and climatic conditions may vary.
- Common Name: Lemon cucumber
- Soil pH: Mildly acidic to neutral
- Bloom Time: Midsummer to late summer and early fall
- Flower Color: Bright yellow
- Hardiness Zones: 2-10, USDA (annual)
- Harvest Time: 60-70 days
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Scientific name: Cucumis sativus 'Lemon'
- Higher classification: Cucumber
- Rank: Cultivar
- Use: Eat Raw or Cooked
- The delivery time for Ireland and Northern Ireland is usually two working days for orders placed before 4 pm.
- Shipping Cost: Starting at 2,00 Euros
- Rest of the World : 3 to 11 working days
- Shipping Cost: Starting at 2,90 Euros
- Shipping costs from 3.50 Euros except for Australia & New Zealand.
PLANT-MY-SEEDS specializes in supplying the best quality products with the best customer service on the market. To satisfy the needs of every customer, we support them from the day they purchase our product until the day they retire it. Feel free to contact us with any questions, as we are always available to assist you.
The delivery time for Ireland and Northern Ireland is usually two working days for orders placed before 4 pm.
⦿ Shipping Cost: Starting at 2,00 Euros
⦿ Rest of the World : 3 to 11 working days
⦿ Shipping Cost: Starting at 2,90 Euros
⦿ Shipping costs from 3.50 Euros except for Australia & New Zealand.
We want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase. Items can be returned or exchanged within 30 days of delivery.