An Overview Of Green Onion
Scallions are vegetable products derived from plants in the genus Allium. Green Onion have a milder flavour than most onions. Garlic, shallot, leek, chive, and Chinese onions are close relatives. Scallions are a variety of young onions called spring onions. A scallion has two parts: a white bulbous base and long green stalks that resemble chives.
More to love in Green Onion:
- Raw and cooked, both the white and the green parts of the plant are used in recipes
- Add into soups, stews, grilled meats, dips, deviled eggs, potato salads, and omelettes
- Thinly sliced raw green onions can provide a finishing touch.
- Slice one-inch-thick slices of green onions over stir-fried vegetables and meats
- Use them raw in green salads to add mild onion flavour
Benefits of Green Onion
It is proven that green onions or scallions have similar nutritional benefits to onions and leafy greens such as spinach orchards. As an excellent vitamin A, vitamin C, and folate source, one medium green onion provides 34% of the suggested daily intake of vitamin K for women. Scallions are excellent sources of nutrients. Energy production and metabolism are both dependent on vitamin B2 (riboflavin).
How to sow and care for Green Onion
Green onion or scallion seeds will germinate if the soil temperature is at least 17 degrees celsius. As soon as you know, the soil will remain warm. Scallions must receive at least six hours of full sunlight during the day, whether they are planted in a garden bed or a pot indoors. Scallions are not heavy feeders, so they do not require fertilizer. Onions grow well in soil that drains well and contains organic matter. You might want to plant seeds one to two inches apart and only a quarter of an inch deep.
To grow successfully, green onions require regular watering. The soil should be kept evenly moist after the seeds have germinated. Scallion seedlings should be thinned with shears at one to two inches tall so that there are two scallions every inch. Thawing the seedlings allows them to grow more room and prevents them from competing for nutrients with nearby plants. Scallions require very little maintenance. Because they have shallow roots and one tall stalk, they can be grown in limited space, both indoors and outdoors.
Note: This Overview is intended as a guide only since cultural practices and climatic conditions may vary.
- Product type: Green onion seeds
- USDA Zone: 6-9
- Feature: Continuous summer
- Season: Spring
- Temperature: 17-25 Degrees C
- Soil: Sandy, loamy
- Harvest Time: 65-75 days
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Scientific name: Allium fistulosum
- Higher classification: Allium
- Use: Beneficial Vegetable
- The delivery time for Ireland and Northern Ireland is usually two working days for orders placed before 4 pm.
- Shipping Cost: Starting at 2,00 Euros
- Rest of the World : 3 to 11 working days
- Shipping Cost: Starting at 2,90 Euros
- Shipping costs from 3.50 Euros except for Australia & New Zealand.
PLANT-MY-SEEDS specializes in supplying the best quality products with the best customer service on the market. To satisfy the needs of every customer, we support them from the day they purchase our product until the day they retire it. Feel free to contact us with any questions, as we are always available to assist you.
The delivery time for Ireland and Northern Ireland is usually two working days for orders placed before 4 pm.
⦿ Shipping Cost: Starting at 2,00 Euros
⦿ Rest of the World : 3 to 11 working days
⦿ Shipping Cost: Starting at 2,90 Euros
⦿ Shipping costs from 3.50 Euros except for Australia & New Zealand.
We want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase. Items can be returned or exchanged within 30 days of delivery.