An Overview of Flamboyant Delonix Regia
Delonix regia, commonly known as flamboyant or flame tree, is a tropical tree species native to Madagascar. It belongs to the family Fabaceae and is commonly grown as an ornamental tree in tropical and subtropical regions worldwide. When the tree is leafless, it produces greenish-brown, flat pods that contain numerous black seeds. The pods can reach up to 60 cm in length.
More to love in Flamboyant Delonix Regia:
- Flamboyant trees grow up to 12-15 meters in height with a spread of 6-10 meters.
- They have a wide, spreading crown and a stout trunk that can reach up to 2 meters in diameter.
- The leaves are pinnately compound, up to 50 cm long, and comprise 20-40 small, oval-shaped leaflets.
Benefits of Flamboyant Delonix Regia
Flamboyant trees are commonly used as shade trees in parks. The most striking feature of the flamboyant tree is its vibrant, showy flowers, which bloom in clusters at the ends of the branches. The flowers are typically red or orange but may also be yellow or pink and can measure up to 10 cm in diameter. The flowers attract bees, butterflies, and other pollinators. The flamboyant tree is deciduous, shedding its leaves during the dry season.
How to Sow Seeds and Care for Flamboyant Delonix Regia
Flamboyant trees prefer well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0-7.5. Mix compost and sand with the soil to improve drainage. Soak the seeds in warm water for 24 hours to soften the hard outer seed coat. Sow the seeds 2-3 cm deep in individual pots or a seed tray. Water the soil and keep it moist. Flamboyant seeds usually take 4-6 weeks to germinate. Keep the soil moist and warm at a temperature of 25-30°C. Once the seedlings have grown to 10-15 cm tall, transplant them into individual pots or the ground.
Flamboyant trees require regular watering, especially during the dry season. Water the tree deeply and allow the soil to dry slightly before watering again. Apply a balanced fertilizer every 3-4 months during the growing season. Prune the tree in the dormant season to remove dead or damaged branches. Flamboyant trees are susceptible to pests such as scale insects, mealybugs, and spider mites. Use insecticidal soap or neem oil to control pests. Plant them in a location that receives at least 6 hours of direct sunlight daily.
Note: This Overview is intended as a guide only since cultural practices and climatic conditions may vary.
- Scientific Name: Delonix regia
- Common Name: Flamboyant or Flame Tree
- Season: Deciduous (loses leaves during dry season)
- Feature: Vibrant, showy flowers
- Soil Type: Well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0-7.5
- More: The flamboyant tree is native to Madagascar
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Clade: Angiosperms
- Order: Fabales
- Family: Fabaceae
- Subfamily: Caesalpinioideae
- Genus: Delonix
- The delivery time for Ireland and Northern Ireland is usually two working days for orders placed before 4 pm.
- Shipping Cost: Starting at 2,00 Euros
- Rest of the World : 3 to 11 working days
- Shipping Cost: Starting at 2,90 Euros
- Shipping costs from 3.50 Euros except for Australia & New Zealand.
PLANT-MY-SEEDS specializes in supplying the best quality products with the best customer service. To satisfy the needs of every customer, we support them from the day they purchase our product until the day they retire it. Feel free to contact us with any questions, as we are always available to assist you.
The delivery time for Ireland and Northern Ireland is usually two working days for orders placed before 4 pm.
⦿ Shipping Cost: Starting at 2,00 Euros
⦿ Rest of the World : 3 to 11 working days
⦿ Shipping Cost: Starting at 2,90 Euros
⦿ Shipping costs from 3.50 Euros except for Australia & New Zealand.
We want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase. Items can be returned or exchanged within 30 days of delivery.