An Overview of Cucamelon
Cucamelon, also known as Mexican sour gherkin or mouse melon, is a small fruit that belongs to the cucumber family. It is native to Mexico and Central America and is known for its unique taste and appearance. The fruit is about the size of a grape and has a thin, crunchy skin similar to a cucumber. The flesh is green and juicy with a slightly sour taste, often compared to a mix of cucumber and lime.
What You'll Love
- Pickled or in salads, it is delicious
- It tastes like cucumber with a hint of lemon
- You can see tiny flowers and leaves on the ornamental vines
- Their shape is like cucumber and they look like miniature watermelons
Benefits of Mini Mexican Cucumber
Cucamelons offer several health benefits. Here are some of them:
- Low in Calories: Mini Mexican cucumbers are low in calories, making them an excellent choice for those looking to lose weight. A 100-gram serving of these cucumbers contains only 16 calories.
- High in Fiber: These cucumbers are an excellent source of fiber, aiding digestion and promoting feelings of fullness, making them a perfect choice for those trying to lose weight.
- Rich in Antioxidants: Mini Mexican cucumbers contain antioxidants like vitamin C, which can help protect against cell damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer.
- Vitamins and Minerals: These cucumbers are a good source of essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, which is necessary for healthy bones and blood clotting, and potassium, vital for heart health and muscle function.
- Hydrating Properties: With a high water content, mini Mexican cucumbers help to hydrate the body, making them an ideal snack during hot summer days or after a workout.
How to grow and care for Cucamelon
Growing and caring for Cucamelon is relatively easy. Here are some steps to follow:
- Soil and Temperature: Cucamelon prefers well-draining soil and warm temperatures between 70-80°F. Wait until the danger of frost has passed before planting.
- Planting: Cucamelon can be grown from seed or transplant. If starting from seed, sow seeds indoors 4-6 weeks before the last frost or sow directly in the garden after the last frost. Plant seeds 1 inch deep and space them about 12 inches apart. If transplanting, wait until the seedlings are about 3-4 inches tall and transplant them into the garden, spacing them about 12 inches apart.
- Watering: Cucamelon requires regular watering, especially during hot and dry weather. Water the plants profoundly but avoid over-watering as this can lead to root rot.
- Fertilization: Cucamelon doesn't require a lot of fertilizer but can benefit from a balanced fertilizer once a month during the growing season.
- Support: Cucamelon is a vining plant and needs support to grow properly. Use a trellis or a fence to support the plants.
- Pest and Disease Control: Cucamelon is generally pest and disease-resistant, but watch for pests such as aphids, spider mites, and whiteflies. Handpick any problems and use insecticidal soap or neem oil to control infestations.
- Harvesting: Cucamelon is ready to harvest when it reaches about the size of a grape or cherry tomato, about 1 inch long. Harvest the fruit by gently twisting them from the vine.
Following these steps, you can grow and care for Cucamelon and enjoy its unique taste and texture.
Note: This Overview is intended as a guide only since cultural practices and climatic conditions may vary.
- Product: Mexican Cucumber Seeds
- Season: Spring
- USDA Zones: 2-11
- Days to Harvest: 70 Days
- Soil Type: Well-drained
- Temperature: 20-22° Degrees C
- Temperature: Melothria scabra
- Species: M. scabra
- Genus: Melothria
- Family: Cucurbitaceae
- Uses: Beneficial Vegetable
At PLANT-MY-SEEDS, we aim to offer top-notch seed products and unmatched customer service. We take pride in delivering an outstanding experience to our valued customers—from purchase to product retirement. Feel free to reach out with any inquiries or assistance.
Our dedicated team is here to provide guidance and support. Our top priority is your satisfaction, and we are committed to making your experience with us exceptional.
Delivery time: 3-8 working days
Shipping cost from: 3.50 EUR
Rest of the world
Delivery time: 4 to 12 working days
Shipping cost from: 4.45 Euros
We want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase. Items can be returned or exchanged within 30 days of delivery.